Dentist in Calgary, AB offers porcelain crowns as a way to protect and strengthen a tooth
When patients think of dental work, they often envision dental crowns. Dental crowns are a common restoration used to repair the smile and ensure a tooth is strong and protected against further damage. Dr. Palka Sawhney Sharma and her team of professionals at Lake Chaparral Dental Care work with patients to help them decide if a dental crown is necessary to protect their smile. Calgary, AB area patients will find that our dentist offers porcelain restorations that match the rest of the smile to provide seamless integration.
What is a dental crown?
Our team describes a dental crown as a cap that is made of porcelain and is bonded over the natural tooth. This restoration helps in achieving not only a beautiful look, but a method of strengthening a tooth that may have been damaged by dental decay, breakage, or root canal therapy. The dental crown is the best solution and is commonly used as it can provide protection for many, many years with proper care.
What can I expect with the placement of a dental crown?
There are many steps involved in placing a dental crown.
- First, the dentist evaluates the patient to decide if they are a good candidate for the placement of a dental crown.
- Second, preparations are made, which includes the removal of surrounding tooth enamel.
- Third, molds or “impressions” are cast of the natural tooth to send to a dental laboratory for the fabrication of the final restoration.
- Fourth, a temporary dental crown is placed until the new one returns to the dental practice.
- Fifth, patients return to the dental office a week or two later to have their provisional crown removed and their final crown bonded in place.
- Sixth, the dentist educates patients on how to brush, floss, and care for their new crown to extend its longevity.
Request an Appointment
Request a visit with Dr. Palka Sawhney Sharma and her team at Lake Chaparral Dental Care
Call (403) 768-2271 today to request an appointment with our providers and start learning more about the ways in which porcelain crowns are used in general and restorative dentistry. We are committed to helping new and current patients in the area with their dental health needs, including both children and adults!